Friday, February 22, 2013

Culture and Keeping Up


I am not quite yet a grown up, so when I was recently informed that I would have to wear "adult-y" clothes for work this weekend, I knew that my closet wouldn't be any help whatsoever. I dreaded what this newfound work requirement meant – a trip to the mall to supplement my admittedly unsophisticated wardrobe.

 I try to stick with online shopping and generally do my best to avoid the mall; although we can’t deny my completely irrational fear of dressing rooms, the real reason why I stay away from retail centers has more to do with my addictive personality – once I shop, I really don’t want to stop.

Maybe it’s a rush from spending the money I’ve worked hard for; maybe it’s a matter of spoiling myself. Maybe the culture in which we live inundates us with so many consumable goods that we’re not only prone to purchasing, but we’re primed for it. Or maybe the effects of shopping elicit an even deeper psychological thrill. Whatever the reasoning behind it may be, very few can deny that there is a case to be made for retail therapy.

We all know that my foray to the local shopping mall didn’t end with dress slacks. I unwittingly came away with far more than I intended, and my bank account will surely be sulking for weeks. I guess the best course of action in the future is to avoid the temptation altogether…that is, until I get home and realize that I now need an adult-y pair of shoes to match. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. While I've heard of people being addicted to shopping and I'm sure that it provides a "rush" of sorts, I hadn't ever considered how online shopping might help to quell this issue. I wonder why? Is it because we can limit ourselves and what we "see" online vs. in stores where everything is displayed out in the open? Is it because online stores don't play upon our senses in quite the same way (touch - for example)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same as you Meredith! Whenever I go to the mall I have to have major self control to make sure I don't buy anything that is not necessary. It is interesting that online shopping helps you with this because it has the opposite effect on me - if I find something that I like online, it makes me want to go to the store and try it on or see if I can find something else that I might like in the store.

    ReplyDelete