Friday, April 5, 2013

Trading in Traditions

As my peers line up to score their Chilifest wristbands and Tshirts, preparing their trucks for the oncoming onslaught of cheap beer, country music, and dirt, I sit quietly in the comfort of my apartment, tallying the many Aggie traditions that I will once more decline to take part in.

As an incoming college freshman, the Aggie traditions are stressed as one of the main accolades that this institution boasts. Respectful events like Silver Taps and Muster are held to honor fallen Aggies, whereas Aggie football games or Aggie Ring Day exist simply to rally school pride and student enthusiasm for our university.

There are many informal traditions that Aggies abide by, as well. Saying "Howdy" to one another as we cross paths on campus, dunking the Yell Leaders in Fish Pond after winning a home game; it's jokingly said that if a Texas A&M student does something twice, it's a tradition.

I guess I never drank the maroon-colored, Reveille spit-flavored Kool Aid. I must've missed that part of the New Student Conferences. Throughout my four years at Texas A&M, I've been what the Red Asses call a "2%er," meaning I only take part in 2% or less of the student body traditions. I don't say "Howdy," I hate Aggie football games (but REALLY! They make you stand the whole freaking time!), and I don't own a single pair of cowboy boots.

This has allowed me throughout my undergraduate career to step back and take a critical look at the student body. Our university has traditionally placed on the top ten least LGBT-friendly schools, and it's plain to see why. Recently the Student Senate, made up of campus-wide elected undergraduate individuals, attempted to pass a bill that would allow incoming students to forego paying the part of their student fees that help fund the LGBT center on campus. Under the less hateful moniker of "The Religious Funding Exemption Bill," students who didn't feel like supporting this institution would be given the option of appealing their student fees and receiving the appropriated money as a refund.

The bill passed in the Student Senate; Student Body President John Claybrook promptly vetoed it when it was brought in front of him.

Students from all walks of life have taken impassioned and genuine perspectives on each side of this issue. While I think that a crowning achievement of our university is the opportunity for its students to take part in the administrative affairs of this institution, I hope this will give current Aggie students a chance to put aside "fun" traditions like Chilifest and Ring Day and consider the traditions this university was really founded upon: our Aggie Core Values.


Excellence. Integrity. Leadership. Loyalty. Selfless Service. And most importantly, Respect. For all Aggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment